8/12/09

Family Heirloom Makeover

Today is DIY day at Kimbas. I recently recieved some awesome linens that were once Josh's grandmothers. I got this one perticular piece that used to be a table runner. I can't take all the credit, my mom had a vision of what it should become. So tonight, I put that vision into a reality. Meet my Table Runner Pillow : I'M IN LOVE


All you need is a Table Runner, Family Heirloom or Newly Bought
Since I don't have a sowing matching...yet, I hand stitched it:) So you'll need these :
And of course you'll need a little of this to stuff it :

Since this was a family Heirloom, it has been extra loved. You may have noticed a few stains & there is even this little tare :
I actually liked the stains, shows it was well used and loved... but the tare not so much.. I stitched that sucker right up :
I think I did a pretty good job!

After I turned the Fabric inside out. I stitched the two ends [width wise] together. This took a little while. Then I turned it back inside out. I tied one end like this with ribbon & stuffed away!

Then simply tie the other end once finished stuffing! :
ANNND VIOLA you have a super awesome bed pillow :


I have this sitting on my couch for now because the Hubby was to tired for me to make the bed to show off the pillow. Also, I didn't stuff it very tight. I wanted it to look kind of floppy. It matched the old fabrics personality! Haha. Still though, I LOVE IT & easy as PIE!


10 comments:

Blue Creek Home said...

What a wonderful way to show off such a sweet old family piece. Good job!

Dina said...

I am just responding to your question about the flowers on my lamps. It's super easy. I just leave a couple of inches of the stem still on the flower and wrap it around the material on the lamp. That way it's not permanant. I get my flowers at Hobby Lobby when they're half off. good luck!

Dina said...

Katie,

I just tied a bow with the ribbon. no glue. and on my wire shades I just stapled the fabric together so it would hold on the shade. I can't wait to see what you do.

Frugal Fine Living said...

Very cute!

Jane

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

How pretty! Love reusing things in a new way. Thanks for joining me today!

just the two of us! said...

you spelled particular wrong. i might be as big of a grammar nazi as josh! there were several mistakes in this post. josh would be so disappointed. :) also, really cute idea katie bug!

the undomesticated wife said...

Very cute idea!

Anny said...

What a great way to showcase and use an heirloom daily.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Great idea!!!

randee said...

what a clever idea!