8/22/09

FREE SHOPPING SPREE FRENZY = HEAVEN

I have to start this post off by saying that God is incredibly good. Not just to us, even though He always is, but just in general. I'm blown away sometimes at the amount of His Grace & Mercy. Today, He allowed me to be apart of a HUGE blessing & He even blessed me.

My husband attends Mid-America Baptist Theology Seminary. Every year they have a Free Shopping Spree for all of the men that attend & their families. This was our first year going & it was AMAZING. UNBELIEVABLE. AHHHHH, JUST WONDERFUL!!! They giveawayFOR FREE everything from furniture, laptops, cribs to christmas decor, kitchen supplies, frames, knick knacks & electronics.

We are so blessed with what the Lord allowed us to grab. It was so awesome to see expecting moms win cribs, broke students win laptops, children grabbing new toys who hardly get any, newly married couples [like us] grabbing home decor, kitchen supplies, or even furniture. We had such a wonderful time! Okay okay.... I know you're ready to see what we got :)

Here they are : [I'm saving the best for last]
I'm also participating in
&
&
(If you are visiting from one of these : leave me comments letting me know what you would do with some of my Treasures, I need help deciding what to do! I'd love your input!

Half of the stuff we got, we piled into these boxes!

Key Chain tag & old fruit magnets
[I loved the magnets because they are the same ones my grandmother used to have]


Old book to use as prop,
Thanksgiving Turkey decor,
4 plate wall holder [i'll spray paint],
Silver candle holder [I have other plans for it, can't wait!],
& a throw blanket that's SOOO soft!


Black Iron wall candle holder,
White bed tray [BIG plans for it],
OLD school wash board [our fav!],
& a new tray to redo..chalkboard or scrapbook paper...hmmm??

A box full of Christmas lights
The black K [actually a gift, but still free]
Hair Spray
Old record player [the horn is bright pink/red...LOVE]
Yellow Flower Lantern
Wash-clothes [for taking make up off]
&& Another Tray... love some trays!

Old book.... [you're gunna DIE, when you see what I do with it]
Spaghetti strainer
Syrup vase
Two door/shutters [not sure what the are but again WAIT till you see what I do with them:) ]

Metal plate, I'm redoing it TOO
Dish drainer
Tongs
Potato masher
Plastic cups
UBER tall candle holder
&& CHIPS:) [told ya they had everything]


&&&&& NOW FOR THE BIG STUFF : EEK SOOO EXCITED

First UP :
A beautiful side table. We are currently using it as Josh's bedside table. Notice I said currently. This will not always be it's home. TRUST ME.

SECOND UP :
This RAD rocking chair! I'm going to re-upholster the fabric. & for now this will live in Momma K's basement, But atleast we have a rocking chair for when baby K's come around.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST : MY FAV
Can you tell how excited I am about this one?? LOVE IT...
I'm head over heels for this chair. I first fell in love with it because of its retro/chic frame & style. I thought well that orange is going for SURE.... BUT the more I look at it...the more I love the orange. For now it has to live at Momma K's basement too. We just don't have room. I may re-upholster it one day, who knows! I'll post about it when I do:)

That is everything we got at the Shopping Spree. It was so much fun and almost unreal. I can't wait for next year!!

p.s here are a few things that Momma K gave me that were once Josh's grandmothers..[Also FREE]
Love these old linens.
I used one of them to make this Table Runner.
Any ideas what to do with some of these...???
I also got the black dish drainer that I plan on using for something else,
a wooden box [any ideas for that??]
& an old cheese container...
I need help with what I should turn these into.
Leave me some comments about what you think! I'd REALLY love it!:)


25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just came across your site and love your ideas and how you turn finds into treasures. Love the orange chair and can't wait to see what you do with the other stuff.

Ben and Audrey said...

good job! i'm so glad you got so much great stuff. i know you'll make all of it look super cute.

Crystal said...

I think the cheese box would look cute with votive candles lined up inside, but it's hard to tell size wise from the pic. It's looks like you came home with lots of great projects, I can't wait to see how it all plays out!

Wendy said...

Oh you scored some great things! Love too many to mention!

Two ideas I've seen that I like (for the doilies) are attaching them to throw pillows and framing them and hanging them up.

The orange chair is great!

The Little Red Shop said...

What fun! God bless you and your new hubby!

: )

Julie M.

Madame Meg said...

Oh wow, that is a great chair! Those old linens are beautiful, too. Have you thought about stitching some onto pillow cases? Some of the kerchiefs might make nice little throw pillows (or framed in a series), and the lace pieces would be lovely on a bed (accent or sham-style). Have fun with all your new projects!
- Meg

Kelee Katillac said...

Katie! That orange chair is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


love, kelee

Shanty2Chic said...

I love junk! Have fun transforming! ~Ashley~ Shanty2chic

marty39 said...

What a great group of treasures. You found a lot. I love it all and can't wait to see what you do with it. Love the chair. Hugs Marty

jennifer said...

Check Ebay for what the metal toleware trays are going for right now. They are highly collectible and you may have really scored with that one. The lowest price that I've seen on one is 15 bucks and they go up pretty well depending on what shape it is in (that one looked good based on the picture). A local antique dealer might give you some cash for it!

Great finds Katie!!

Cheri Peoples said...

Is that in the KC area. I used to live in the KC area.

Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

Kara said...

Omgomgomg I love that orange chair!!!!

Tara G. said...

I think I'd take one of the doilies and have it framed against a black matting to hang on the wall.

travisandblair said...

Katie, YOu are the most creative girl I have ever met! I LOVE YOUR POSTS! So inspiring! I love you girl...I think I will hire you to come to Alaska and help me transform my house! Love you! -Blair

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

I love love love your orange chair. It's my favorite color~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Twice Remembered said...

Wow, what awesome finds! I especially love the washboard, candleholder, and the table! I can't wait to see how you use them all! I have a washboard in my attic I want to use in my laundry room when we finally get around to that room:)

Jane said...

Wowzers! What an amazing haul! I would so love to donate my stuff to such a great cause too. I'm sure those who donated stuff felt blessed too! I do have one idea for the skinny box in the last photo. One night my church had a candle light "reboot" service. They filled a bowl with sand and everyone added a lit taper. I think the box would look so lovely with some sand holding a row of taper candles.

The Reno Family said...

What an amazing shopping spree. It is so much fun to make-over and reinvent things. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it all. I love the Orange chair as well. Of course, I am intimidated by Orange so I'd probably recover it with some Joel Dewberry fabric. Of course, reupholstering is a lot of work! Trust me!

Julia said...

That is an enormous amount of freebies - God is good! I think that plate hanger could hold recipe books in the kitchen should you not want it for plates (just turn them horizontally, and voila!) All those trays and candlesticks can be made complementary colors for a tablescape... the trays are cool too. Enjoy your bounty!

Mrs. Nepper said...

Wow, well I wish I had some suggestions, but I'm just blown away by all the thrifty goodness you guys got. How fun!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I would just use some cool retro fabric (maybe like your blog background?) and reupholster the bottom cushion of that rad chair. You could make a throw pillow from the original cushion fabric then add a throw...oh cool!

Jaime @ A Place Out West said...

LOVE the chair! I can't wait to see what you come up with. I think there are tons of possibilities there.

Better After said...

Can't wait to see what you do with it all! Maybe I'll be featuring you on my blog!

Tammy of Yarborough House said...

The black dish drainer I would use for files to store your different scrap paper. Use the smaller end that is traditionally for silverware for markers and such. The long skinny box- I just saw a tutorial today on how to build long skinny cheese boxes to put a line of votive candles in for fall decor. I think if you bought little glass votive cups and put votives in it on the table or countertop it would be beautiful. You could throw a couple of mini pumpkins in for some fall flavor.
You scored on all that stuff. Good job. And great thing for the church to do.

Goodwill Haunting said...

Wow, what a great thrifting adventure! I love the two chairs! I have to agree that the tray would be awesome with some sand and candles ... can't wait to see your transformations!