7/2/12

DIY newspaper trash can makeover

I have absolutely no where to hide a trash can. Bummer, for real. 

I once used a super chic metal trash can that was a little more pleasing to the eye. However, after countless grunts, whines, and fights between the trash can and husband, I gave in and bought an ugly white (yet practical) trash can. 

I hate that thing. I mean hate. It was so ugly. It was such an eye soar. It had to go. But... husband said no. 

So... I redid it.



You need: 
One old book
One ugly white trash can
One cute pup to help you (optional but not helpful)
 Modpodge

and that's it! 

I simply tore out the pages, cut off the margins, and cut the pages into all different size strips. Then, I just started modpodging. VIOLA: 

I felt like it needed just one more touch of cuteness. I went to Joanns and found these round wooden chips. I had seen another trashcan just like this with the words "outbox" written across the top.  So, I went for it.

The final result is adorable. It looks so much better in my kitchen now! I actually get excited when I get to use my trash can. #dork.

Took me about 1.5 hours and a soar rear from sitting on that floor but it was so worth it. 

Total Cost: $2.99. 
(for the letters, I had everything else)

3 comments:

Kait @ Wunderbar Life said...

I love it! We have a yucky white trash can too, and now you've inspired me.

Melisa said...

I have a feeling mine was the "other cute trashcan" you saw, since I have a tutorial up for this very thing at http://www.toadinaboat.com/diy-altered-wastebasket/ and it has been featured on several other blogs.

Mrs. K said...

Melisa! So glad you commented! I had saved your image on my desktop a while back and couldn't find you blog when I went to make the trashcan! Thanks for commenting! The DIY featured this today and left a link to your blog too! YAY! Thanks for commenting. Glad to find your blog again!