1/8/13

and all the nerds said...

...reading is where it is at. yo. 
 Here's to all you fellow book nerds out there! 
#readersunite

One thing I want to continue doing this year is read. I've always loved reading. I read super fast so I finish books quickly (as you do when you read fast), and then I'm stuck again trying to figure out what to read. Last year, I read around 20+ different books. Teaching 6th grade English kinda forces you to. Doubt I'll read that much this year. Fiction, Faith Based, Non-ficition. I read all different varieties. 

So, I'm in the middle of reading A Praying Life by Paul Miller. My first book this year. It's been incredible. Super easy to read. He's also that subtle funny. Which is my favorite kind of funny. 

Anyways. I'm almost finished with it, and I want to read something. Anything.

So this is where you come in. Tell me what to read.  Since I don't have 6th graders to tell me what to read, I want to know what you think. Also, I'm tired of the "teen" books. Especially about young basketball players. Reading those to promote reading in my kids was fun, but I'm over it. 

Your favorite book. Fiction. Non-Fiction. Faith based. Anything. I really want to read more "christian" books.  So if you got some good ones in that genre... let me know! Brit (a good friend and blogger, who loves to read) if you're reading this... what are some that you have read? I know your a reader too!

Anyways again, just leave your suggestions in the comments! I'll let you know what I go with next. Excited to get a good list going!


12 comments:

annabclark said...

If you love to read (as I do!) you have probably already read every Karen Kingsbury book there is...but if not, then that's what I suggest! Especially the Baxter family series. I also enjoyed the book Bloom by Kelle Hampton--about her child with DS.

Valerie Griffin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie Griffin said...

You've read Redeeming Love, right? If not, get that NOW! Heaven is for real is great too if you haven't read it yet.

& The Stephanie Plum series is interesting and funny!

& for some reason I never got your email..did you send it to valeriekgriffin@gmail.com?

Emily C said...

Hi, I'm a new follower:) some recommendations for great Christian books:
Crazy love-Francis Chan
Not a Fan-Kyle Idleman
I also just bought Radical which I have heard good things about but havent read yet! Hope this helps.

Savannah said...

I just became a follower! I'm friends with Nicole @ Bloom and found you through y'alls recent DIY :) Love it!

Kelly said...

Redeeming Love ( I'm reading now and LOVE it)
Duck Commander Family
Bloom by Kelle Hampton (Great Easy Read)
I'm planning on reading:
1,000 Gofts by Ann Voskamp
Unglued by Lysa Tuerkhurst (She spoke at my church last night and was such an inspiration!)

Allison said...

Some of my recent favorites are
Little Princes by Conor Grennan
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
The Bungalow by Sarah Jio
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Becky [Apples of Gold] said...

I love to read, too, and I agree with the ladies above! Redeeming Love is a great one! In fact, anything by Francine Rivers is pretty awesome!
I also really love Karen Kingsbury's fiction. She's a christian author, if you didn't know that already.
Aaand, hmmm. My latest favorite book is One Perfect Word (nonfiction) by Debbie Macomber. It's super inspirational and encouraging!
(New follower via Bloom!)=)

Janna Brandon said...

I absolutely love Lysa TerKeurt's book Unglued. If you like romance novels, anything by Karen Marie Moning is awesome! History wise, definitely read Andrew Jackson: His Life and Times by H.W. Brands.

Bella said...

You should read The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It is spectacular.
A favourite quote: “Until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words,—'Wait and hope.'” Chapter 117

And it's a little bit longer which should help the fast reading thing. :) I know that I enjoyed it so much I kept reading sections all over again!

Yay reading!

Nicole said...

I am also a new follower! I really enjoy books that include a good plot line while fairly easy to follow since we don't get too much sleep in my house (as a new mother)while at the same time pushing me towards Christ. That said I recommend anything by Lori Wick. She has a way of easily weaving verses and thoughts that show me how to grow closer to my Saviour! I also really like Robin Jones Gunn.

Jack and Daniëlle said...

Hi! If you're not tired of mom books, i highly recommend "Bringing up Bebe" It's about an American mom who lives in Paris, and about how different Parisian parenting styles are - I just read it last weekend (and we're expecting our first in 2 weeks). She's a hilarious author and I finished it in a few days.