6/12/13

i've lost my mind. for real this time.



a few weeks back I recieved this text from my sister:

"I kinda want to run in the St. Jude half marathon in December"

since that text, I somehow got sucked into running it too. At first I was a bit hesitant.. i mean, run 13.1 miles for fun, not thanks. I thought there's no way she is really doing it, it's just for talk, she won't really sign up. But then my other sister joined in, and then a friend, and then somehow I found myself downloading a couch to 5K app and the rest is history. I've somehow managed to come to enjoy running. the pics above are my morning runs from last week on vacation. I got home and continued running in the early morning. The air is fresh and crisp. The birds are just waking up and the sun and clouds are breathtaking. It's like an oasis I've never discovered before bc my head is always buried deep beneath my pillows. Somethings got to be wrong with me because I'm really starting to enjoy it.

So, here's to looking at it positively-I'm about to get in incredible shape, check something off my bucket list, & benefit a really great cause. I'm raising money for St. Jude Children's Hospital. I'm sure you all have heard of it. If you'd like to sponsor my run & give money to this incredible hospital, please make a donation here. No donation is too small.

Now, if you've got any running/training tips... any at all, PLEASE leave some comments. I used to run in high school but those days are long gone. l o n g. gone.

3 comments:

Nickolai & Courtney said...

I love the couch to 5k app as well as runtastic. It helps me track my routes and distances.

Blaise said...

I love the pictures in this post; it looks so serene!

I decided to do my first half-marathon in December 2011 (and I've done one more since!). I was NEVER a runner, but I turned myself into one! It's a love-hate relationship :) I think some of the biggest things I learned in the ups and downs of training are...

-Some days you will have really bad runs...no matter what. I used to become so discouraged when I would have a bad run even after I had been training, but I learned that it happens and I just have to know they won't always be bad :)

-Try to run 4-5 x a week, and only make one of those runs a "long run." I used to do about 3-4 miles a few times a week and then on Saturdays or something I would do my long run.

-It takes time :) It truly is difficult to get into running shape, but eventually running won't be so hard & you'll develop a comfortable rhythm & pace that will keep you going!

-Comfortable shoes make all the difference! Make sure you have good, supportive running shoes. You might want to get your foot analyzed at a local running store. It's awesome!

I'm by no means an expert, but these were a few of the things I learned in the process :) I hope they help you, and you'll do great in your first half!

-Blaise

Lisette said...

It's so admirable that you would do that! I'm cheering you on from my couch!