1/27/14

Date Night 1/12

Ladies, date your husbands. Husband and I really believe that consistent dates nights are a must for a healthy marriage. I really think besides a Gospel centered home, there is nothing better for your kids than letting them see you love your husband and spending time with him. As my kids get older, I want them to realize how important it is for them to put their future spouse first before all else (obviously not before the Lord) and the best way to teach them that, is to show them. After all, I'm raising a future husband, not an adult son.

Part of my goals for 2014 was to go on 12 "different" dates with my husband this year. Meaning, dates that aren't what we typically do on date night, which is dinner and a movie. I was surprised at how excited husband got about this and he even chose our first date (and he's already picked out next months, too) So, a few weekends back, we dropped C off at a babysitters and went to Mud Monkey. You probably figured out what we did by the pictures. I've driven by so many of these types of studios. It's like Mtown and DC county thrive on "paint a piece" studios. We've never even thought about stepping a foot inside one until now. And I'm so glad we did. You basically just pick out a piece of pottery and paint it. As soon as I saw the salt and pepper shakers, I knew that's what we would paint. Why? because we have the ugliest set of S&P shakers known to man, and we're in a serious need of an upgrade.

I painted pepper and husband painted salt. And it pains me to say, he did a way better job than me. Also, who knew painting together would be such a team building exercise. Seriously, my need to be a control freak was hit with a ton of bricks. Once I let loose and just let the man paint, we had so much fun, and he killed it. I googled "mid century s&p shakers" to get inspiration for our design. I picked them up last Friday and LOOOVEED how they turned out.

Here's to hoping these babies last a long long time, so I can explain to the kids when we made them and how (and because I'm so awesome at spacing ((read: lie)) I had just enough room to add the date). Maybe they will even turn into a little family heirloom one day. I love that! Seeing these on my table everyday remind me of man, how much fun he is, and how blessed I am to get to date him. It's not too late to make this resolution with your man & go on a date this month! or tuck the idea away and bring it out when you get married.

Married ladies, give me some ideas! What are some different things you've done on dates?

8 comments:

Kate Kubler said...

Oh those turned out so cute! What an awesome idea! I'm not married but definitely appreciate the effort necessary to maintain intentionality in a relationship. Love this post! :)

Kate Kubler said...

Such a great date idea!! and I LOOOVE your design!!!!

Kate Kubler said...

We are doing that too, it was Paul's Christmas gift! 12 prepaid dates, one for each month, that are different and with no baby:)

Kate Kubler said...

I LOVE this! I've been wanting to go to one of these places. It's been years since I've been and I always assumed I'd take my little girl for a special day, but I should totally take my husband instead ;) I feel like he'll hate the idea of it, but love it when we're actually doing it! Haha!

Kate Kubler said...

That looks like so much fun!! I'm a big believer in the importance of dates too...yet it's been over a month since we've been out on one!

Kate Kubler said...

aw how fun! this is such a cute date night idea I love it! :)

Kate Kubler said...

We have been doing date nights to the theatre the last year but it would be so fun to do something different then dinner and a show.

Kate Kubler said...

So much fun! You two are simple adorable and your bangs are PERFECT!