8/28/15

Our Adoption Profile Book. Take 2.

If you had told me 2 years ago that I would have to make not only one adoption profile book, but two, I would have told you no thank you. But MAN, I am so thankful the Lord knew better and interrupted our adoption process to bless us with Willow. But now that we are in the process again, a new updated book needed to be made.

I started working on this book in June. I spent hours going through our thousands of pictures to hand pick my absolute favorite or ones that really told our story. I had one goal in mind: TO MAKE IT US. I wanted it to be real, simple, authentic, clean and genuine to us. I worked on this book during nap times, in the late hours of night, in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep, and even rose early some mornings to squeeze in some time while everyone else rested. With each page made, I prayed over our Birth mom and her child. More than not, this will be the first thing she reads about us. The first pictures she will see, and from it alone, she may choose us to be her forever family for her child. Soooo, you know, just a tad daunting to make. I really liked our last book. But when I started to brainstorm designs for this book, I noticed several ways to improve on it.

1. Our photo on the front. Last time around, I wanted our book to really stand out among the rest. This time around, you guessed it, I wanted it to be more us. Pictures of us being silly with our kids, because that's real life.

2. WAYYY MOREEE PICTURES!! There was way way too much text in our last book. I really wanted the pictures to tell the story in this second book.

3. Clean and Simple. So many books that I've seen are cluttered and overwhelming. I wanted ours to be easy on the eyes but still hold all the information our Birth Mom would need to know upon being introduced to us. I used some of the same layouts or ideas as our last book, but I just tried to improve upon them. There wasn't much I could salvage from the last book since we had so much to update, but whatever I could use, I reused to help save time.

 And without further ado... Our Adoption Profile Book.
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-001.jpg photo adoptionprofilebook2-002.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-003.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-004.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-005.jpg
Josh's page was written by me and vice versa
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-006.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-007.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-008.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-009.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-010.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-011.jpg

This page wasn't in our last book. To be honest, I contemplated over and over about adding this page in. I really wasn't sure if it was needed or not. And, I was scared that it might work against us. What if the BM doesn't like that we like something or our response turns her away? Obviously, I decided to keep it in the book and just trust the Lord. I pray it will help her feel even more connected to us and allow her a better look into our lives. It's hard to tell in this photo, but there are 19 questions on the left followed by Josh's response in blue and mine in pink.
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-012.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-013.jpg
 photo adoptionprofilebook2-014.jpg


I made parts of this book with Photoshop and the other part using BLURB software. I also ordered through BLURB. I used them last time and was just really impressed with the quality and how easy it was to create it using their software. I highly recommend them! I ordered three books total. Two are required by our agency, and I wanted one to have at home for our kids and future adopted child to read through.

I included this on the post with our last book but thought I would re-share it here: 

If you are an adoptive family viewing this for tips and tricks, here are my few suggestions:

-Start on this sucker weeks in advance. Trust me. You'll need it.
-Photos, Photos, Photos!!! Choose photos that tell a story! Professional photos are great, but don't make them the majority. Pull out those grainy, but candid iphone photos that capture you kid at bedtime, or being silly, or going down a slide. I pulled so many of my IG photos for this!
-More images than text. Your BM will most likely go through so many books she will be exhausted of reading. Give her images that tell the story.
 -Use a design that really reflects your family verses just cute vector images or scrap book looks.
-Keep the book 20 pages or less. you don't want to overwhelm.
-Keep it crisp & use layouts. Collages of images can work, but make sure their is a theme to them.
-Use simple sentences and words. Keep it at a basic reading level.
-Don't use cookie cutter text. You can't tell, but we really let our personalities shine through our text, Josh joked around a lot, and I wrote like I was talking to her in person.
-Use relevant photos. Showing images of years passed could be confusing to the birth mother. Let them see what your life is like NOW.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me! My info is on my contact page.






No comments: